Abortion Pill Information
The abortion pill is a medical abortion that is also known as RU-486. This type of abortion uses two drugs – Mifeprex™(mifepristone) and Misoprostol and can be used until 10- weeks LMP (last menstrual period). However, its effectiveness may decrease as the pregnancy progresses.
The FDA approved regimen for Mifiprex (RU-486) is a two-visit process using two different drugs 1
- Mifepristone is given orally during the first office visit. Mifepristone blocks progesterone from sustaining the pregnancy, thereby ending the life of the baby.
- Misoprostol tablets are given orally 48 hours later. The misoprostol will cause contractions to expel the baby’s remains. This does not take place at the medical office and may occur within a few hours or up to two weeks after taking misoprostol.
- A physical exam is given by the healthcare provider about 7-14 days later to ensure the abortion is complete and that there are no immediate complications.
Risks and Side Effects
- Not advised for women who have anemia, bleeding disorders, liver or kidney disease, seizure disorder, and acute inflammatory bowel disease, use an intrauterine device (IUD), or are unable to return for the follow-up visit.
- Cramping, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, heavy bleeding, infection and in rare cases, death.
- In a small percentage of pregnancies, the procedure may be unsuccessful in terminating the pregnancy. This risk increases with the length of your pregnancy. 2
If you have taken the first dose of the abortion pill, Mifepristone (Mileprex or RU-486) and are experiencing doubts about your abortion, it may be possible to reverse your abortion. Every hour since your first dose of the abortion pill matters, so it’s important to call the Abortion Reversal Hotline at 877-558-0333.
Fetal Development Weeks 4-8
The following describes some of the developmental steps of the baby during the time frame when a woman is eligible for a medication abortion. 3
- All major systems and organs begin to form.
- The beginnings of the eyes and ears are developing.
- Tiny limb buds appear, which will develop into arms and legs.
- The heart is beating.
- All major body systems continue to develop and function, including the circulatory, nervous, digestive, and urinary systems.
- The eyes, nose, mouth, and ears are becoming more distinct.
What if I have Second Thoughts?
Are you having second thoughts or regrets about your abortion decision? It may not be too late to change your mind. If you’ve taken the first dose of the abortion pill, Mifepristone (Mifeprex or RU-486) there is an effective process for reversing the procedure, called Abortion Pill Reversal. The process uses the progesterone hormone, which has shown to counteract the effects of the abortion pill.
Women have successfully continued their pregnancies and given birth to healthy babies after reversal progesterone treatment was given under doctor’s care. Any attempts to counteract the abortion pill should not be done without the assistance of a medical professional. For more information go to: www.abortionpillreversal.com or call 877-558-0333.
For more information about the abortion pill, Mifepristone (Mifeprex or RU486), click into At Home Abortion Facts.
1 U.S. Food and Drug Administration (2016). Mifeprex Medication Guide. U.S. Department of Health.
2 Mifeprex Label (2016), Table 4.
3 Johns Hopkins Medicine (n.d.). Pregnancy: The First Trimester.
Norwich, called “The Rose of New England”, is a city in New London County, Connecticut. The Yantic, Shetucket, and Quinebaug Rivers flow into the city and form its harbor, from which the Thames River flows south to Long Island Sound. Several Norwich neighborhoods maintain independent identities and are recognized by official signs marking their boundaries. Neighborhoods of Norwich are Norwichtown, Bean Hill, Yantic, Taftville, Greeneville, Occum, East Great Plains, Thamesville, Laurel Hill and Chelsea (the original “downtown” area.)
Abortion Pill 06360, 06365, 06380
We care & we will listen.
Questions & Answers
(860) 222-4505 or schedule an appointment online.
You will meet with our professionals to go over your information and a lab-quality pregnancy test will be administered. With a positive pregnancy test result, we offer referrals for ultrasound to confirm a living, intrauterine pregnancy.
All our services are provided free of charge.
Absolutely, you can bring your boyfriend, family member or friend. We will talk with you privately first. Then provided you have given us consent to have them in the room, your guest will be able to join you.
We adhere to a strict privacy and confidentiality policy. Clients will be protected from disclosure of information that violates their right to privacy except where required by law, required for public health reasons, required to avert a threat of harm to the client or a third person, or when other circumstances may reasonably warrant such use or disclosure without prior authorization (e.g., abuse reporting, suicide/homicide prevention, etc.)